10 Things I can’t live without when I’m having a flare up day:
I am lucky I have found things that do work for me and I’m always looking to see what works for others so I can try. I am on medication which doesn’t manage the symptoms enough for me. I try to go the natural route as much as possible… I have a lot of responsibility and like to be aware of what I’m doing and my surroundings.
- Comfy clothes- I like to wear soft items made of cotton, in winter add big socks and slippers. I wear jogging pants at home and leggings if I unfortunately have to leave my house.
- Cuddling with my boyfriend- Human touch feels amazing and for me simply being on the couch with him makes me feel better. He is very relaxing and calming for me. I find it’s easy for me to fall asleep despite feeling awful.
- Naps with my cat, Dexter- I love my cat and napping with him is one of my favourite things to do with him other than sharing my snacks.
- Doing yoga/physical activity-When my doctor first advised me physical activity is helpful for fibromyalgia symptoms I didn’t think it could be true. It didn’t make sense to me to get up, move and be active when feeling stiff and sore. I did reluctantly try it and after a week I started to notice a difference. Its been two months since making physical activity a priority. I definitely notice a difference in my flexibility, ease of physical activity, muscle growth, and I’m able to slowly challenge myself with difficulty of activity.
- Sending memes with my best friend, Katherine- She also has fibromyalgia and we are frequently in a lot of pain which can be distracting and difficult to deal with some days. We pretty much send memes everyday to each other. We have the same sense of humour and inundate each other with hilarious meme after hilarious meme. We know in order to keep ourselves going each day we have to keep laughing a lot.
- Epsom Salt Bath/Fibro Soak- Soaking in a hot bath is incredibly soothing and relaxing. I have lavender scented Epsom salts. Also, I use a fibro soak I purchased from a holistic store. It is I am good for about 15 in the tub. It doesn’t take all the pain away but it is a great distraction and it does take the edge off.
- lipstick- I feel it’s not bad enough I feel so awful I do not want to look like it. I wear lipstick a lot. It’s something that can be relatively inexpensive, I feel good wearing and it’s easy for me to put on.
- Netflix- When I have a day that requires me to stay in bed for the day I am thankful for Netflix. I love all the categories and it is easy for me to return to shows I started because of their menu.
- Heating pad-Heat works for me. There are days where mine isn’t turned off. When I’m in pain my heating pad is on and I’m in bed, watching Netflix or napping with Dexter.